Monday, September 24, 2012

I'm Qualified to be a Doctor Now, Right?

In my last post I wrote about how uncomfortable I was approaching my GI doc regarding his colleague's diagnosis, which I believed was wrong (I saw the colleague because my doc was out of the office). The problem I was experiencing wasn't critical, so this was no life-threatening matter, but I wanted to see what could be done to treat it because I was so uncomfortable.

The other doc said I needed to undergo a four-hour (and I'm sure, pretty expensive) procedure to confirm his diagnosis. But I didn't think his diagnosis was on-point and wasn't willing to spend the money on the procedure. Still, I was concerned about not following doctor's orders.

I saw my doc when he returned to the office and he concurred that I didn't need to undergo the procedure because the presumed diagnosis didn't seem exactly right. Ha! So there - I could be a doctor!  

Crowing aside, I'm dismayed at my reaction - after all this time and all my experiences with healthcare professionals over the past six years, I'd like to think that I would be more comfortable and confident when asserting my opinion, even when it isn't the same as the doctor's. But I wasn't. How can I be a good self-advocate in light of this realization? It gives me much food for thought.


Photo by Sasha Dunaevski

 

1 comment:

MATINA said...


I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.